Ryan advises clients through all phases of the entitlement process and works closely with both clients and consultants to prepare legally defensible CEQA and NEPA documents. Ryan represents a wide range of projects, including renewable energy, mixed use, residential, industrial, commercial and infrastructure projects. Ryan also advises clients on California’s open meeting and public information statutes, including the Brown Act, Bagley-Keene Act and Public Records Act. Where required, Ryan defends projects against environmental litigation in federal and California trial and appellate courts, defending writ petitions and challenges to project entitlements and CEQA/NEPA documents.
Renewable Energy & Energy Storage Matters:
- Permitting and CEQA for 168 MW Soitec Solar Project in San Diego County; successfully defended permits in San Diego Superior Court.
- Permitting and CEQA for 50 MW Ocotillo Wells Solar Project in San Diego County.
- Permitting and CEQA/NEPA for 200 MW Tule Wind Project in San Diego County.
- Due diligence and analysis of over 5,000 MW of solar and wind energy projects throughout the U.S. prior to acquisition, sale and/or financing.
- Due diligence, analysis and entitlement strategy for hundreds of MW of battery and energy infrastructure resiliency projects in Orange County, San Diego County and San Joaquin Counties.
Commercial, Residential, Mixed-Use, Industrial and Infrastructure Matters:
- Defend Drakes Bay Oyster Company in federal court to prosecute NEPA violations by the National Park Service, including appeal to 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defense of 400-unit residential development against CEQA challenge in Carlsbad.
- Successfully persuade County that client can operate by right without need of conditional use permit.
- Permitting and CEQA for redevelopment of industrial park in San Diego.
- Permitting and CEQA for mixed use project in San Diego.
- Permitting and CEQA for industrial chemical distribution center in San Diego.
- Permitting and CEQA for redevelopment of Brown Field Airport in San Diego.
- Permitting and CEQA for mixed-use bayfront development in San Diego region.
- 4,700-unit residential and 1,200,000 square-foot commercial mixed-use project in the City of San Diego.
- 140,000 square-foot retail mall in San Diego; successful defended permits in San Diego Superior Court.
- 483-unit mixed use project; successfully defended permits in Torrey Hills Community Coalition v. City of San Diego (2010) 186 Cal.App.4th 429.
- 4,000 unit residential project in City of Orange; successfully defended permits in Sierra Club v. City of Orange (2008) 163 Cal.App.4th 523.